Summery Italian Style Cod
By Farzana Rahman
why we love it
This dish is the one I use in the winter to remind me of sunnier times! We took a cooking class on our trip to Italy last year and made this very simple cod with tomato. The key to the sauce is the garlic. The sauce is great to freeze and goes with everything plus it’s perfect for a chilled out Friday evening.
- olive oil
- 5-6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pack of cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
- Handful of fresh basil, loosely chopped
- 1 cup water/white wine
- Lemon zest
- 1 small chopped de-seeded chili (optional)
- 2 fillets of cod with skin
- Fry the garlic in the oil until just browned (about 1-2 mins)
- Add the tomatoes and chili and turn down the heat and stir. Cook for about 10mins.
- Add water/white wine and cook for another 2-5 minutes.
- Add the basil, stir and turn off the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- In another pan, turn up the heat on a pan with a little oil.
- Add the cod, skin side down and sear. Press down the cod with your spatula to make sure the whole surface of the fish contacts the heat. Cook this way for 3-5 minutes
- Turn over and either finish cooking on the pan or pop in the oven for 5 mins or so.
- Pour on the sauce and voila!