Daal in a Rush
by Farzana Rahman
Why We Love It
Daal is one of our favourite staples. Quick, easy to make and packed with protein, lentils can be a quick meal fix. We love the slow cooked delicately flavoured daals that we grew up with but this version is for when you are on the go and need to rustle something up fast. It’s a throw it all in a pan type job and we add in vegetables to pack in some bonus nutrients.
1 cup of orange lentils
half a chopped onion
1 tablespoon of crushed garlic (or powdered garlic)
½ teaspoon of turmeric
½ teaspoon of cumin
½ teaspoon of ground coriander
½ cup of frozen vegetables (optional)
4 cups of water
1. Wash the daal and drain. Repeat until the water runs relatively clear, this can take 5-6 repeats of this.
2. Add the chopped onion, garlic and spices and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce to a low heat and cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. There maybe some scum that forms at the surface, just scoop it off.
5. Add water if the mixture becomes dry
6. When the daal is nearly ready, add in the frozen vegetables and cook for another 5- 7 minutes
7. Add salt and pepper to taste
8. Serve with rice or bread, garnish with a some chopped fresh tomatoes or coriander if you are so inclined !