Midweek One-Dish Supper
Why We Love It
So it’s Wednesday and the fridge is beginning to resemble a barren wasteland – there’s a clove of garlic and half a lemon waltzing together on the second shelf, and somehow all the vegetables that so fully stocked the bottom drawer have gone! How do we get through so much in so few days?!
This is when my humble heroes from the store cupboard come and take centre stage. Ah…tinned items, you will always have my heart. A tin of tomatoes, tin of chickpeas and a few eggs – who said Shaksuka needs to just be for breakfast?
As always, I tend to get carried away and add whatever else I can find to the pot to bulk it up – in this case, a couple of vegetarian sausages, some shrivelled up mushrooms from the back of the fridge and some leftover spiralised courgette. Yes, I appear to have become the sort of person who uses the word ‘spriralise’ far too often. Oh dear.
- 3 chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- half teaspoon of cumin, coriander, turmeric and chilli powders.
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- any other random veg you like, or whatever you need to use up (in my case a few mushrooms and vegetarian sausages)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 eggs
- chopped coriander to garnish
- Heat oil in pan
- Add onions and garlic until transparent
- Add spices
- Turn heat down and simmer to a paste. Add chickpeas and Any Other Veg/Stuff until browned.
- Add tinned tomatoes
- Cover, turn heat down and simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Once you take the cover off, if it’s looking a little watery then just cook it off on the heat with the pan off to allow it to thicken.
- Add salt
- Crack eggs onto top
- Cover or let them cook slowly with the lid off until eggs done to your preference
- Add chopped coriander to garnish.