Crispy Breadcrumb Coated Tofu
by Farzana Rahman
Why We Love It
Seeing the astounding data on the importance of plant-based foods for health has convinced us to incorporate more plant based days in the week.
This recipe is modified from the fantastic blog ‘It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken’ which has been an invaluable source of recipes and inspiration. We changed a few bits to accommodate our spicy palate.
• 1 block extra-firm tofu
• 4 cloves garlic
• 2 tablespoons Chilli flakes
• ½ teaspoon of turmeric
• ½ teaspoon cumin
• 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon of honey
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Drain the tofu, and cut into strips. Wrap in a clean dishtowel and squeeze away excess moisture.
- Crush the garlic and add the remaining marinade ingredients to a bowl/bag and add the tofu pieces to marinade.
- Marinade for 1 hour to overnight.
- The next day, remove the tofu pieces and shake off the marinade and put the pieces on a plate.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Set out three small bowls. Put flour, breadcrumbs and the remaining marinade in each.
- Take a tofu piece and dip in the flour, then dip in the marinade and finally in the breadcrumb mix.
- Lay out the breadcrumbed tofu pieces on a lined baking tray.
- Bake for about 18-25 minutes checking halfway whether they are done.